Opened in 1889, O’Connor Hospital was the first hospital in Santa Clara County. The original O’Connor Sanitarium, as it was called, was built by Judge Myles P. O’Connor and his wife Amanda on 15 acres of country property at the corners of Race and West San Carlos streets.
Known for being benefactors of many charitable organizations, the O’Connors’ original intent was to build a sanitarium for the sick, home for the elderly, an asylum for orphans and a school for children, but community needs determined that a hospital was the priority. At the suggestion of Archbishop Riordan of San Francisco, the O’Connors asked the Daughters of Charity to operate the hospital. On May 1, 1889, four Daughters of Charity members moved into the almost-ready facility, which opened that same month.
In 1953, O’Connor Hospital moved to its present site on Forest Avenue. Still affiliated with the Daughters of Charity Health System, the hospital continues to provide care with a special focus on the needs of those living in poverty and the underserved.
O’Connor Hospital is the only Catholic hospital in San Jose, serving a population of 1.7 million residents. Its 358-bed acute care facility offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient medical, surgical and specialty programs. Services include cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation, oncology, orthopedics, vascular, advanced medical imaging, emergency, stroke, urgent care and a Wound Care Clinic, among other services.
O’Connor Hospital’s Emergency Department features 21 beds, board-certified physicians and specialty-trained nurses. Our Urgent Care Center offers expert health care providers, X-Ray and Lab services and seven exam rooms. O’Connor is home to one of the only family medicine residency programs in the Bay Area, an affiliation with Stanford University.
Recently, we created the Santa Clara County Ministry Market, which includes O’Connor Hospital, Saint Louise Regional Hospital and multiple sites of care. A group of dedicated physicians affiliated with the DCHS Medical Foundation and a network of skilled primary and specialty care physicians on staff at O’Connor and Saint Louise provide us with a strong regional network of care.
Enjoy our inspirational video about the history, Mission and values at O’Connor Hospital.