LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA – Daughters of Charity Health System (DCHS), headquartered in Los Altos Hills, plans to usher in its 10th anniversary year in January with a celebratory Mass in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel at Seton Provincialate. With six hospitals along the coast of California, DCHS embraces its Mission of caring for the sick and those living in poverty.
“As we acknowledge our tenth year as a health system, we know this past decade attaches to our long and valued history spanning more than 375 years of caring for those less fortunate,” offers Robert Issai, President & CEO of Daughters of Charity Health System. “We have been blessed with a rich legacy of adapting to and fulfilling the needs of those we serve.”
St. Vincent de Paul, a country priest, and St. Louise de Marillac, a widow, formed the first Company of the Daughters of Charity in 1633 to serve the sick and poor inParis. In 1809, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton founded the American Sisters of Charity in Emmitsburg, Maryland. By 1823, the Sisters assumed responsibility for the Nursing Service of the Baltimore Infirmary in Maryland. Five years later, the Sisters traveled toSt. Louis, Missouri, and established the first Catholic hospital in the country,originally named Sisters’ Hospital, eventually renamed Mullanphy Hospital in honor of benefactor John Mullanphy. Today, it is known as De Paul Hospital.
Until 1995, the Daughters of Charity hospitals were part of the Daughters of Charity National Health System, which was established in 1986 in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1995, the Daughters of Charity, Province of the West, merged their six hospitals with Catholic Healthcare West (CHW). In 2001, after careful reflection, they withdrew from CHW.
On January 1, 2002, the Daughters of Charity Health System was formed. Today, more than 7500 physicians and associates work alongside Daughters of Charity, continuing a legacy of service to our California communities.
“When the Daughters of Charity first arrived in San Francisco in 1852, they set a high standard of service to members of their communities,” says Sister Marjory Ann Baez, DC, Visitatrix, Province of the West. “Our California health care roots took hold in 1858 when we established the Los Angeles County Hospital, now St.Vincent Medical Center. Today, we continue to embrace that high standard and offer quality compassionate care to those in need and beyond.”
“Our hospital was founded as the San Jose Sanitarium and Home in 1889,” offers James F. Dover, President & CEO of O’Connor Hospital, a member hospital of DCHS. “Judge Myles O’Connor and his wife Amanda generously provided funds for a community facility” he adds. “We have been a presence in California for more than 150 years with a number of our original institutions still in existence today. Our Mission of caring for the sick and those living in poverty has sustained us throughout the years.”
Today, DCHS hospitals include Seton Medical Center, Daly City; Seton Coastside, Moss Beach; O’Connor Hospital, San Jose; Saint Louise Regional Hospital, Gilroy; St. Francis Medical Center, Lynwood; and St. Vincent Medical Center, Los Angeles.
Share This Page
Director of Marketing, O’Connor Hospital
(408) 947-2626 office
(408) 892-1150 cell